Overview: This game lets players experience the burden of being a Product Owner, backlog management and having to choose between stakeholders. Players will form a team responsible for everything related to coffee and will try to create as much business value as possible for their organisation while keeping stakeholders happy.
Timing: 60 minutes
- enough room to form teams with their own space
- per team (pref 5 or 6 people per team) the game materials (team description, role description, userstory cards, scorecard and 1 dice)
- some candy to be used as reward/bonus for example bag of mixed chocolate minis. It’s more fun and perhaps provides some nice insights if some of the rewards can be shared (like M&M’s and Rolo’s) and some can’t be shared easily (Mars,Nuts).
- visible timing device
Facilitators guide is in the game materials provided. The facilitator explains the games, runs 3 rounds of backlog refinement and sprinting as well as keeping and comparing scores between teams 🙂 . Between every sprint the teams can do a retrospective to improve and the facilitator can use this to teach concepts touched by this game.
- Basics of backlog prioritizing
- It’s smart to have some sort of business value model as guide to base your backlog ordening on
- Refinement doesnt need to be perfect right away and isn’t a one time thing. Timebox, start and keep refining as you go
- How do you keep stakeholders happy while adding as much business value as possible
- simplified some of the stories and their dependecies
- enhanced layout of the storycards, improved font & color for story ID and extra remarks on card
- seperated handout/facilitators guide/presenter slides