Timing: About 2-3 hours
Materials: – General
- A noise maker (bell, horn, whistle) to start/end iterations.
- Tape to fix down the ‘Inventory Stores’
- Stop watch or other timing device
Materials: – Each Team
- A table that can seat 4 people comfortably
- Sticky Note pad– back torn off, so sticky-side is up.
- 4×4 Quad ruled paper – 4 or 5 sheets
- Four sharpies / thick pens
- 4 sheets white paper to represent the inventory stores
- Assorted Lego blocks in three colors
- A strip of Lego Building Platform –32 wide, about 8 deep (one platform cut into 4 works nicely).
- A pair of scissors
Teams of 4 people (a customer, a designer, a developer, and a tester/integrator) create a wall ‘tetris’ style – creating interlocking shapes in Lego to create a solid wall.
Please see Facilitator Notes and Participant Instructions for details:
- This game introduces the basic mechanics of Kanban to a team already familiar with Iterative (scrum-like) development. It demonstrates how Kanban regulates production flow.
- Can be used to practice Scrum/Iterative, and/or Kanban/Continuous delivery methods.
- It also teaches emergent design, as only one row of the wall can be designed at any time.
- Cumulative Flow Diagram templates are included as an extension of the game.