- 1 hour
Players (5..8 recommended):
- You and your colleagues
- Internet access
In Job or Joy, players share their hobbies, tedious chores, and what they like or dislike about work. This enhances your understanding of the participants while uncovering ways to make work more fun. Clicking on the image to the right will take you to an “instant play” game at innovationgames.com. Here, this image will be used as the “game board,” which categorizes the four different types of activities you and your coworkers do.
- Quadrant 1: Joy – work activities that people enjoy (ex. conferences)
- Quadrant 2: Hobbies – activities outside of work that people enjoy (ex. reading, biking, cooking)
- Quadrant 3: Chores – activities outside of work that people don’t enjoy (ex. cleaning)
- Quadrant 4: Job – work activities that people don’t enjoy (ex. mundane office meetings)
You will also see two icons in the top left corner:
- Happy face: what you like to do
- Frown face: what you don’t like to do
To add the icons, simply drag them to the board and describe what they represent. Everyone can collaborate and edit the placement and description of each image, which can be seen in real time. The results will be organized into a spreadsheet at the end to optimize the benefits of the game.
When people enjoy what they are doing and become engaged through self-motivation, they can push themselves to form innovative ideas and breakthroughs. Their participation is catalyzed by the activity they are involved in and they channel their personal commitment toward achieving the goal. Play Job or Joy to discover what your colleagues like/dislike to do in order to better understand who they are and how you can all maximize your joy and productivity — both during and outside of work.